Wednesday, July 1, 2009

German Sampler


HLATC EAE267
I apologize for the overdue posting, I was out of the office and hiking around Rocky Mountain National Park last week. Working in collections storage really leaves one aching for sunshine and outdoors!

Today I thought I would share one of the Collection's pieces with you, an early 1800s sampler, HLATC EAE267, from Western Germany. I wish I could have better captured how fine the embroidery work is on this piece. I tried to get incredibly close-up photos, but that just resulted in these slightly out of focus shots. I hope you can still get the gist of it.



Many different types of embroidery are represented on the sampler including: guilloche, holbein, seed stitch, and french knots, just to name a few. I especially love the blue and white colors used in the piece.

There isn't anything in the photo to really give you a sense of scale, you may get a better idea knowing that each of these little rectangles is only about 1" tall.

1 comment:

  1. What a phenomenal piece! It's always nice to see the treasures hidden away in storage.

    ReplyDelete